The importance of daily skin care
Like all good things in life, glowing skin doesn't just happen. You have to work for it. Sure, good genes help, but healthy, glowing skin is the result of an effective daily skin care regimen. We all make sacrifices to stay healthy and look young. We go to great lengths to stay fit and keep up our looks: we sweat through spin class, sit for hours getting our hair done, and suffer through diets. And if you've ever had a bikini wax then you know the meaning of pain. By comparison, a daily skin care routine is a piece of cake.
To fight off signs of aging, your daily skin care regimen should embrace the three cardinal rules of skin care: protect, prevent, and repair.
Protecting your skin from damage is one of the few things in life you can control: eat well, don't smoke, and stay out of the sun. The first two are no-brainers, but sun protection can be more elusive. Most people nowadays know that ultraviolet (UV) rays lead to wrinkles and other signs of aging, not to mention increased risk of cancer. We all dutifully pack sunscreen when we go to the beach. But the accumulative effect of day-to-day sun exposure also causes damage. Even on overcast days when the sun is hiding behind a cover of grey, dangerous UV rays can still hurt your skin. Here are a few tips to keep you protected year-round:
- Use sun screen daily, even on cloudy days.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 15.
- Use sun screen on all exposed skin, and that includes your lips.
- Shield your eyes and the delicate skin around your eyes by wearing sunglasses that protect against both UVA and UVB rays. (Think glamorous and embrace your inner Jackie O!)
- Make sure you correctly apply sunscreen 20-30 minutes before sun exposure.
- Stay away from tanning beds and try a self-tanning lotion instead.
Along with sun and smoking, dehydration is another cause of fine lines, wrinkles, puffiness and sagging. With age, your skin loses its natural ability to self-repair and your skin can no longer effectively retain and absorb water. The longer the healing process is impaired, the harder it is to restart, leaving our skin in a weakened and damaged state. If you establish a good skin care routine, you prevent your skin from ever getting to the stage where it can no longer heal itself. Proper hydration is the answer. DermaVitál products are designed to cosmetically support the role of hydration of your skin to help you prevent the visible signs of aging.
Unless you live in a cave, it's fair to say that your skin has suffered some damage from sun and pollution. Even if you take excellent care of your skin, the inevitable process of aging causes changes in our skin. The third sacred rule of skin care is all about reversing the appearance of the damage that has already been done. Botox and surgery are options, but there are more cost-effective and non-invasive ways. DermaWand is a small, electric, hand-held device that creates high frequency, low voltage micro current pulsations to stimulate and oxygenate your skin's surface. When it comes to repair and maintenance, DermaWand delivers:
- Temporarily diminishes appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, sags, and puffiness
- Restores youthful glow to dull, tired skin
- Stimulates and revitalizes the appearance of your skin
- Increases skin definition and tone
- Reduces appearance of pore size
- Prepares skin's surface to maximize the effectiveness of skin care topicals
- Stimulates and helps promote your skin's natural rejuvenation process